How To Overcome Addiction
Overcoming addiction is first and foremost about understanding addiction and then doing something about it. Read up about it, even find out how the brain changes – become very prepared to overcome.
Addictions can be overwhelming for certain people and actually rewire parts of the brain. The brain areas that regulate instinctive behaviors called the hypothalamus, and the amygdale which regulates emotion and anxiety, can both show neuron and connection alterations through addictions.
Once you fully understand some of the major traps that the mind and brain fall into, you are then educated, aware and ready to take concrete action. Some of the best actions are:
- Replace negative or addictive thoughts with pleasant ones.
- Don’t rely on sheer will power, set a goal to break a habit for 90 days and it will get easier as each day passes.
- Learn to stay in the present moment instead of worrying about the future or past.
- Let go of the ego.
- Keep on reading up on addictive behaviour. Read up on human evolution and conditioning. Seek out a few good experts and avoid instant fixes. Here are a few great resources.
- The Myth Of Finding The Perfectly Balanced Life
- 5 Truths About Happiness And Love